The oppidum of Alésia is one of the most famous archaeological sites in France, but until recent years it was suffering from its lack of visibility and from the small surface of the museum in Alise-Sainte-Reine. A large part of the 7000 hectares (oppidum and Cesar's fortifications) is covered by a forest that makes it difficult to understand the site. The council of the French department of the Côte d'Or, to whom the site belongs, decided to change this situation in 2004 and launched a huge programme to build an open air archaeological park Bernard Tschumi Architects Agency won the project with an ambitious plan: a synergy between History and Landscape which will help visitors to understand the points of view of both the besieger and besieged and to discover the different cultures that occupied the site during the first centuries A.D. The future park is divided in two parts: - The Besieger Interpretation Centre and a partial reconstruction of the roman fortified lines will introduce the Gallic War. - The museum of Gallic civilization, the « excavation area », and the base of archaeological operations will explain more generally the human occupation of the site. With its opening set for this year, Alésia's Park will be the biggest archaeological park of Europe and will give back to the site the recognition it deserves.
Fun day out for all the family at Parc de l'Auxois at Arnay-sous-Vitteaux just 30kms from La Bagnosienne. Featuring:
Demonstrations with lemurs, ferrets, racoons and reptiles. Animals from all continents including - wolves, tapir, lamas, bears, zebras, camels, monkeys etc. Outdoor swimming pool and water slide open all of July and August. Shop/restaurant/refreshments. Petting farm. Animal learning centre. Adventure playground. Mini golf. Lemur Island. Small rides.
The Abbey of Fontenay is a former Cistercian abbey located in the commune of Marmagne, near Montbard, in the département of Côte-d'Or in France. It was founded by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux in 1118, only a few years after he left Cîteaux Abbey to found Clairvaux Abbey. Located in a small forested valley 60 kilometres northwest of Dijon, it achieved great prosperity in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. Fontenay enjoyed the protection of the Kings of France but was plundered in the Hundred Year's War and the Wars of Religion. Later, its fortunes declined, and the refectory was demolished by the monks in 1745. The abbey was closed in the French Revolution, and became a paper mill until 1902, owned for most of its period of operation by the Montgolfier family. Apart from the demolished refectory, it retains almost all of its original buildings: church, dormitory, cloister, chapter house, caldarium or "heating room", dovecote and forge, all built in Romanesque style, with later abbot's lodgings and infirmary. Today the abbey buildings are set in modern manicured parterres of lawn and gravel. It is one of the oldest and most complete Cistercian abbeys in Europe, and became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1981.